Why we still need to champion women

I'm blessed. I'm an executive creative director in an industry where fewer than 10% of creative directors are women. I have a career I love, and I work with amazingly talented people every day. I have a supportive boss, supportive peers, and I feel well compensated for what I do. I also work for an amazing company that has some of the best benefits I've ever seen. So when I post about, or speak out about issues related to women in the workforce, it's not unusual for someone to challenge me and question my credibility to speak out on such issues.

"You won. You're a woman in a leadership role usually held by men. What do you have to complain about?"

It wasn't intended to be malicious, but this comment was recently made regarding a post I wrote. And it didn't offend me, but it did make me pause. Because I don't speak out on this issue because I feel I've been treated unfairly. I speak out because so many other women have. And so many continue to be.
I know damn right well that the opportunities I've had are because the women who came before me paved the way. And I don't take that effort lightly. I remember my own mother making a negative comment about Gloria Steinem and the ERA movement many years ago. And I had to remind her that no matter how she felt about some of the more liberal politics or beliefs of those women, her own daughter was given amazing opportunities because of their efforts. I can be a conservative woman and still recognize, celebrate and appreciate that.

"To those whom much is given, much is expected."

Quite frankly, it's because of my success that I feel the obligation to reach down and help other women up. The fact is, even today, women are 35% more likely than men to live in poverty. And the World Economic Forum is forecasting that it could take 170 years to eradicate the disparity in pay and employment opportunities between men and women around the world. 170 years.
In truth, we don't even need to leave our own country or city to find gender bias and discrimination. Some of it is so subtle, and so ingrained in us we hardly notice it until it's pointed out. Which is why we were all moved by the "Like a Girl" campaign. How did that one get past us for so long?

"We've got a long way to go, baby."

Too many women continue to suffer from domestic violence today. Too many women continue to live in poverty. Too many women continue to feel defeated before they even begin. And that means too many voices are silenced, and too many brilliant and talented women are absent from the places we most need them - from classrooms to science labs to boardrooms and beyond. We don't even need to go across the globe to change that. We can start by mentoring young women in our own communities today. We can start by empowering our own children and family members. We can start by being a voice for those who can't find theirs.
This International Women's Day I'm using my voice to say that the success of some of us doesn't outweigh the needs of many of us. And that there is never a wrong time to speak out about respect for all women, fair treatment for all women, and to champion women everywhere to be free and unencumbered to seek and achieve their own success.
#BeBoldforChange