10 things I learned at DePaul

Next Monday marks the end of the quarter, and the end of the social media class I've been teaching at DePaul.  For their last assignment, the students each have to submit a "top ten" blogpost on their selected topic.   For fun, I figured I'd do one, too.
  1. Being an adjunct takes a lot more time than I remember.  It's been a few years since I last taught a course, and a lot has changed.  Technology, for one, makes it so much easier to organize information.  But it hasn't made it easier to grade papers. 

  2. My husband is a saint.  I've spent almost every weekend since March glued to the kitchen table either grading papers or putting together class lectures.  Add to that a few work trips and new business pitches, and you have a man who hasn't seen his wife in months.

  3. You can make a really cool quilt out of your old jeans. I'm actually a bit inspired to give it a shot! This is just one of the amazing little craft gems I've learned from reading all of their blogposts.

  4. 1994 seems like yesterday. One student chronicled a lot of music from 1994, and it boggles my mind that 1994 was twenty years ago. 

  5. I need to go back to Vegas.  I was there a lot in the late 90s, and once in 2007 (not counting conferences.)  But I clearly missed a lot of great things to see and do.

  6. I really need new lip colors.  I've been wearing the same "Almost Lipstick" from Clinique for years, with the exception of a gloss I got from Birchbox.  But there is a whole world of options out there I'm missing out on.

  7. There are a lot of great places to eat in Chicago I haven't tried yet.  When I lived in Streeterville I ate out all the time, and loved trying all the new places.  Time to get back out there and try a few new ones.

  8. University libraries are still amazing.  As an undergrad, I used to love to get lost in the stacks at Morris Library in Carbondale.  Hanging out at the DePaul Library brings back all those amazing memories and I could literally hang out there all day.  Who says I haven't already?
  9. Textbooks are over-rated.  I didn't use one for this course, instead I found readings each week from the brilliant minds out in the world. A huge thank you to Google, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedInPinterest, Mashable, DigiDay — free education abounds in our world and it's all out there for the taking.
  10. The future of our industry is in incredibly capable hands.  Despite what we may have heard, or what we've come to know about millenials,  this next batch of folks coming into the workforce are passionate, smart, insightful and dedicated.    I'm humbled by their heart, their curiosity and their commitment.
That's it for now.  Finals are next week, I have a few assignments to grade, and a summer of fun to plan with the hubby.  But I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I can't wait for class to start again in the fall.